It is important to keep your eye on the prize. The BIG picture – the reason you set the goals you have to reach the outcome you want. My BIG picture is to Travel The World Debt Free.
But it is SUPER, DUPER important to remain consistent in the LITTLE things. The day to day activities and actions that you need to do to reach that BIG goal.
To me, consistency in taking positive actions and steps– in all areas, finance, health, relationships, career – is KEY.
Consistency forms habits. And good habits in personal finance are priceless.
What LITTLE things am I doing every day / week to make the BIG thing (Debt Freedom!) a reality?
- I record all my expenses. Every day. I log them into the notes section of my phone, then I put them into a spreadsheet at the end of the day.
- I try (SO HARD 😉 not to buy takeaway coffees every day! Everyone has a little spend vice…the ‘small’ amount that adds up and burns a hole in your pocket! Mine is coffee.
- I listen to personal finance podcasts or read PF content via blogs / books / internet almost every day. This helps keep my goal at the forefront of my mind – I get hints and tips and feel inspired!
- I say No to the items I really don’t need right now. Consistently saying no, delaying gratification and not letting frivious purchases sidetrack you actually becomes very rewarding. And, the more you do it, the easier it becomes!
- I review my budget weekly. A weekly review can curb any major blowouts and keep you on track.
- I donate to my piggy bank. This is a fairly recent habit I’ve developed, but already I can see over time with consistent donations this little piggy will be laughing all the way to the bank!
What little things are you doing consistently to reach your big goal?